Saturday, December 17, 2011

Praying hands

When I was still a child, and my view of the world is only 3 feet tall, I remember asking a wise woman once, "Why do we, whenever we pray, weave our fingers together into a ball?"


A quick breeze wrap around me as she suddenly moves her body, kneeling down, to my height.

"Because girl..."

Fresh, young lines on her forehead appears as she look into my eyes.

"...when we interweave our fingers like this..."

She held out her own very hands complete with visible green veins at the back of the palm and proceed to lock her thick rough fingers up like a ball.

"...we can be sure our hands and fingers are not busy doing other distracting things, while we're talking to God."

Until today, I never really know how true those words are.
But I tell you one thing, whenever my hands meet each other during prayer, this scene will quickly flash before my closed eyes.
Never failing to remind me the reason why we put our hands together during prayer.

It could be the original reason why people practice praying with clasp hands. Or it could be something every child-bearer tells their offspring during the child's mischief years.

After all, that wise woman is my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment