Monday, August 13, 2012

A family that serves

It's Kari Jobe singing. She's using her talent, singing praises to our Father that motivated me to type something about what I experienced in prayer meeting just hours ago.

I came in for prayer meeting rather late today. A few people caught my attention today during the meeting.

A particular man with grey hair, with his back facing me, as he stands in a tiny circle praying with his friends, a well-groomed woman with turquoise shawl, stands next to him.

A little girl with long wispy hair laughs as she ran passed my vision. She is the kind of girl I wish my future daughter to be. Bubbly, full of energy, she's beaming with health and she carries with her just the right amount of mischievousness, it gleams from her eyes.

From the corner of my eyes, I caught another girl. This one older. Thinking back now, she gives me a sense of maturity yet innocence. Ironic as it sounds, from my experience, it's mostly girls who have known Christ most of their lives carries this wonderful trait. Although I didn't pay much attention to her compared to the younger girl, I can see myself approving her as a friend.
I never seen any of them around church before. The man and woman must be from mandarin service, the older girl must be one of the new people the youths brought in... and that hyper younger one must be someone's daughter... the Sherlock in me finally deducted and then I paid no more attention to them.

I do this all the time whenever I see new faces. I have the need to fit new people in the current surrounding. Little do I know, these 4 new faces belongs to one family.

When Pastor Moses asked us to pray for 'George and Alison', the little girl ran forward to her parents; who turns out to be the man and the woman, with such pride that for a split second, I could've felt the love of the family.

I wouldn't have known the older girl was also their daughter if I had not turn around to see some sisters laying hands on her as they prayed.

As I turned back, I suddenly remembered how I used to be like the older girl.

There was a period in my life where I would tag along with my parents as they serve.
They usually help out in other churches's Sunday school, or they would be in charge of church camp's children activities.

My dad, who I am still so very proud of, would play the guitar and lead worship. Sometimes, he would even dress up as a clown to entertain the kids.
My mother, who has an in-built heart for kids, would tell stories and encourage the kids to draw. Her profession as a teacher groomed her well for this job.

Looking back now, my parents have a special love for kids. They don't mind sacrificing their time and energy to do all these. But most importantly, as much as my parents love working with kids, I believe my parents have a heart for God even more. They know who they are serving, and they love Him.

All the churches whom my parents served in would always offer to pray for us. They would call us out, and just like what we did for George's family, they would lay their hands on us and pray for us.

The sincerity and love is what moved me now... because I was too young and foolish to appreciate it last time.

And this is what brings me to write this long-winded post.

As I relate myself to the older girl, a rush of emotions overcame me. I missed being prayed after as a family.
But as I think back, I realise that I have undervalued the prayers poured out for me and my family. So when I prayed for George's family just now, I poured my heart out for them. I imagined what I would want elders to pray for me and I used that to pray for the 2 beautiful girls.

God opened my eyes to see how precious it is when a family dedicates themselves to serve Him.
How delighted He is at this.

I too, want this for my family in the future.
I want my Lord to have a reason to look down and smile.
Because He knows there's a family on earth, in Malaysia, or anywhere for that matter, that would be there doing His ministry, in love and in passion. All for His name and glory.

Kari's sandy voice soothes my spirit.
I just want to sing with her..

No comments:

Post a Comment