Monday, January 2, 2012

An ancient love story (Part 1)

Rebekah
It was around evening, after the mid-day heat. I came out of my house with an empty jar on my shoulders, with the rest of the women in my clan, ready to draw water from the town's well like we always do.

Today seems different. I can feel it in my bones, I'm just not sure what is going to happened, but I'm very sure something is going to happen today.

As I got closer to the well, I noticed a man. I've never seen him around before, he must be foreign...

No matter, I need to do draw some water before the sun goes down.
I was surprised when the man approached me once I reached the well. He came up and requested for a drink of water from my jar.
As I look into his eyes, I see sincerity and weariness, like a man who has been entrusted with a huge responsibility.
His faces shows tiredness, as if he'd travelled a long way.

How could I reject this man? I lowered my jar to pour out the water I drew, for him.

As he drank, I glanced around to see 10 camels with him.
Instinctively, I suggested to draw water for his camels as well. After all, it's the only thing I could do for the foreigner.

This man immediately stopped drinking and looked at me like I was his saviour. All the weariness drain out of him at once. I have a sense that I have showed him kindness in ways he needed the most.
After I filled water for his camels, he took out some jewellery. Gold nose ring and bangles, and gave them to me. Of course I couldn't accept them, but he strongly insisted.
The man asked me whose my father. I answered him. He asked if there are rooms in my house for him and his camels to stay for the night. I welcomed him to stay in our house, I asked him to wait.

I ran home and told everyone what happened.

My father Bethuel and brother Laban welcomed the man into our home. They made him comfortable and invited him for dinner.

But this man, he said he would not eat until he has told us his story.

I was at the other room. Me, my mama, my sisters and aunts. They were all over me, demanding the details of my side of the story. I told them all I knew.
Mama was most excited, for after she sees the golden bangles and nose ring, she knew this man is from a rich family background.

I was very still and heard everything the man told my father and brother from the other room.

I learnt that he was the servant of a wealthy man named Abraham from Canaan. He came to our land to look for a bride for his master's son.

Wait, Abraham. Grandpa Nahor had a brother name Abraham. Abraham is also father's uncle. Yes, Abraham is my granduncle. 

Goosebumps crept upon me as the man tells of how he prayed to the Lord for a maiden who would let him drink from her jar and provide water for his camels.
Exactly what I did...except...I knew nothing of his prayer. But I acted out exactly to what this man prayed for. No wonder he gave me the look when I suggested drawing water for his camels.
I am in awe of how the Lord works.

The man has now finished his story. Voices from the other room dropped. I suppose he is giving father and brother time to think of his request. Then, I heard the my father's voice. He told the servant of Abraham, since it is the Lord's will for me to marry Abraham's son, he would not stand in the way.

Oh my poor father. He loves me and I can hear it from his tone that it is with a heavy heart he agrees. But still, he will obey God.

Everyone got ready to send me off in marriage. Father prepared animals and gifts for my future father-in-law. Mama pulls me aside and gave me an emotional talk on how she and father loves me, and her hopes of me being a good wife, daughter-in-law and future mother. She reminds me to love my God, my future family and always be kind and humble. Tears were exchanged. In the end, she wipe my face, gave me a kiss on my forehead. And there, she sealed her love for me. For she knows, she will never see her daughter again after tomorrow.

I was excited. I was nervous. I was sad. I was happy. Like many woman of my time, I have never seen the face of my future husband.
I lay awake that night, thinking of how he look like. How he sound like. How he carried himself.
I couldn't contain myself, I couldn't sleep.
Mama and sisters came in, knowing I would be restless, they held my hand, stroke my hair and sang me to sleep.
This is when I know I am ready to get married. For my family loves me so much and I wanted start one of my own to pass this love on.





Isaac
Mother had passed on.
Whenever I pass by her clothes, I can still pick up her scent.

Father is old and he has lost the spark in his eyes. The love of his life had went ahead of him. But he is still sane, thank God.
After father buried mother, life has been different.

I feel much more alone. I know I still have father, but it's just different. I miss mother dearly.

Some days I wake up feeling okay. Like life could go on.
Other days I wake up with a mourning heart.







Rebekah
The next day, the servant of Abraham was ready to set off, brining me along. But ma and Laban asked him to let my stay 10 more days. But he gently refuse; his master was waiting. He asked what I think, if I was ready. I told him I was. I put all my trust into this stranger.

With that we set off to Canaan.


...to be continued..
because this is getting too long and there's still more.

4 comments:

  1. LOL @ ur to be continued

    hahahah love it love itttt I SAY I LOVE IT DDD:

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA I love that you love it.
    Refer back to Genesis about this. see if there's anything I left out :)
    Thankie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very nice story! Love it!!!!! Very creative way to know more of God's Word. Can't wait for the next part! ^^

    Susanna <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susanneh :)

    Was reading about Isaac's story and decided to try being Rebekah. This is what I came up with. All glory to God :)

    ReplyDelete